Kid Power Triathlon Series
Sunday July 28th, 2013
10:00 AM, Novato, CA
A fun new triathlon for kids ages 6 to 14!
Every child will receive a finisher’s medal in this non-intimidating event where the focus is on fun, fitness, and giving kids a taste of the growing sport of youth triathlon. The race will be staffed with experienced triathletes, and plenty of volunteers will be on hand to provide support prior to the race and out on the course. Event distances are designed by age group, so that every child can make it to the finish line with ease.
Giving Back: We’re happily donating 10% of proceeds from this event to Trips for Kids of Marin. You can learn more about this great organization by clicking on the ‘Beneficiaries’ tab below.
Don’t miss out!
What: Swim, Bike, Run
Where: College of Marin – Indian Valley Campus
Race Weekend Schedule
- 2:00 – 5:00pm: Packet pickup/Registration – At the race site on the lawn adjacent to the pool. Follow signs to ‘pool parking’ as you enter the campus
- 3:00 – 3:30 pm: Pre Race Meeting and Course Talk (optional) – We’ll discuss the course, race day logistics, and answer your questions. This is completely optional, but first time triathlete parents are encouraged to attend if possible.
- 7:00 – 9:45 am: Packet Pickup for registered participants – adjacent to transition area
- 8:45 – 9:45 am: Transition area open for Kid Power participants – transition area will be right in front of the pool
- 10:00 am Race starts! – Athletes will start in waves according to age group, from oldest to youngest.
Approximate age group start times are as follows:
- 10:00 – Wave 1 – Ages 13-14
- 10:10 – Wave 2a – Ages 10-12*
- 10:20 – Wave 2b – Ages 10- 12*
- 10:30 – Wave 3 – Ages 8-9
- 10:35 – Wave 4 – Ages 6-7
*10-12 year olds will be assigned to either wave 2a or 2b at packet pickup, based on race number
$55 per child
$5 discount for each additional child registered in the same immediate family*
- Please note that there will be no race day registration for this event.
- Online registration closes at midnight on Friday 7/26!
- Onsite registration will be available at the race site on Saturday, 7/27 from 2pm to 5pm.
* Each participant must also purchase a USAT membership, unless already a USAT member. Proof of membership will be required at packet pickup. This is a mandatory membership/insurance requirement for all participants. USAT membership can be purchased during online registration or by check at packet pickup. Youth USAT fees are $10 for a one day membership or $15 for an annual membership.
No refunds or registration transfers are allowed. If your registered child is not able to race, requests for registration deferrals will be accepted until 10 days prior to race day. A credit for a future Kid Power Triathlon, less a $25 processing fee will be emailed. Credits will not be given less than 10 days prior to race day.
Swim – The swim will take place in a 25 yd pool, with 2 swimmers placed in each lane. There will be wave starts based on age group, with the oldest athletes (13-14 year olds) starting first.
Bike – The bike will be a loop on campus roads with plenty of volunteers to provide safety, support and direction. Racing road bikes are not required for this event. Any bike that the athlete is comfortable riding, and that is in safe working order will do. Helmets are mandatory and must be worn and clipped at all times, including when athletes are walking their bikes in and out of the transition area.
Run – The run will be an out and back loop on a wide dirt trail adjacent to the campus. Volunteers will be posted along the course to provide direction and support.
Event Distances by age group are as follows:
- Ages 6-7 : 25 yard swim, 1 mile bike, ¼ mile run
- Ages 8-9: 50 yard swim, 1.5 mile bike, ½ mile run
- Ages 10-12: 100 yard swim, 2.5 mile bike, 1 mile run
- Ages 13-14: 200 yard swim, 5 mile bike, 2 mile run
USAT Age Category and Other Rules
USA Triathlon (USAT) is the sanctioning authority for this event and the governing body for triathlon nationwide. To learn more about USAT, please visit the website at http://www.usatriathlon.org. You’ll find a complete set of USAT Competitive Rules and Regulations at http://www.usatriathlon.org/resources/about-events/rules. Please take the time to become familiar with these rules prior to the event.
A few USAT youth rules of note are:
• An athlete’s official race age is his/her age on December 31 of the year of the event
• No disc wheels
• No aero bars
• No aero helmets
• Designated swim caps must be worn throughout the swim portion of the race
• No nudity allowed in the transition area
• Upper torso must be covered during the bike and run portion of the race (shirt or swimsuit)
• Bike helmets must be put on and strap must be clipped before the athlete exits the transition area and enters the bike course
• Parents are not allowed in the transition area during the race. Parents are only allowed in transition during designated set-up times, and upon completion of the race to retrieve belongings. Race volunteers will assist younger athletes in the transition area if needed.
The race will start and end at the College of Marin, Indian Valley Campus.
Parking for the event is in several campus parking lots accessed from the entrance on Ignacio Blvd. Volunteers will direct you to parking as you enter the campus. In the unlikely event that these lots are full, the option is street parking in the neighborhood outside of the campus. Please be sure to allow plenty of time to park and get to the transition area prior to your child’s wave start time.
We’re happily donating 10% of proceeds from this event to Trips for Kids of Marin. Learn more at http://www.tripsforkids.org/marin/.
Click on this button for answers to some common questions. If you don’t see what you need, please contact us.
Don’t see what you’re looking for here? Send an email to email@example.com if you have specific questions. Join our mailing list to be kept up to date on this exciting new race for young athletes.