Kid Power Triathlon Series
Sunday July 28th, 2013
10:00 AM, Novato, CA
A fun new triathlon for kids ages 6 to 14!
Every child will receive a finisher’s medal in this non-intimidating event where the focus is on fun, fitness, and giving kids a taste of the growing sport of youth triathlon. The race will be staffed with experienced triathletes, and plenty of volunteers will be on hand to provide support prior to the race and out on the course. Event distances are designed by age group, so that every child can make it to the finish line with ease.
Registration for this event will be limited to 300 participants – Don’t miss out!
What: Swim, Bike, Run
Where: College of Marin – Indian Valley Campus
Race Weekend Schedule
- 2:00 – 5:00pm: Packet pickup/Registration
- 3:00 – 3:30 pm: Pre Race Meeting and Course Talk (optional)
- 7:00 – 9:45 am: Packet Pickup for registered participants (no race day registration)
- 8:45 – 9:45 am: Transition area open for Kid Power participants
- 10:00 am Race start (13-14 year olds start first)
Please note that all times are subject to change. Final schedule will be updated during race week.
$55 until July 1st, 2013 or until the race sells out, $65 after July 1st
$5 discount for each additional child registered in the same immediate family*
There will be no race day registration.
* Each participant must also purchase a USAT membership, unless already a USAT member. Proof of membership will be required at packet pickup. This is a mandatory membership/insurance requirement for all participants. USAT membership can be purchased during online registration or by check at packet pickup. Youth USAT fees are $10 for a one day membership or $15 for an annual membership.
No refunds or registration transfers are allowed. If your registered child is not able to race, requests for registration deferrals will be accepted until 10 days prior to race day. A credit for a future Kid Power Triathlon, less a $25 processing fee will be emailed. Credits will not be given less than 10 days prior to race day.
Swim – The swim will take place in a 25 yd pool, with 2 swimmers placed in each lane. There will be wave starts based on age group, with the oldest athletes (13-14 year olds) starting first.
Bike – The bike will be an out and back loop on campus roads with plenty of volunteers to provide safety, support and direction.
Run – The run will be an out and back loop on a wide dirt trail.
Event Distances by age group are as follows:
- Ages 6-7 : 25 yard swim, 1 mile bike, ¼ mile run
- Ages 8-9: 50 yard swim, 1.5 mile bike, ½ mile run
- Ages 10-12: 100 yard swim, 2.5 mile bike, 1 mile run
- Ages 13-14: 200 yard swim, 5 mile bike (2 loops of the course), 2 mile run
USAT Age Category and Other Rules
USA Triathlon (USAT) is the sanctioning authority for this event and the governing body for triathlon nationwide. To learn more about USAT, please visit the website at http://www.usatriathlon.org. You’ll find a complete set of USAT Competitive Rules and Regulations at http://www.usatriathlon.org/resources/about-events/rules. Please take the time to become familiar with these rules prior to the event.
A few USAT youth rules of note are:
• An athlete’s official race age is his/her age on December 31 of the year of the event
• No disc wheels
• No aero bars
• No aero helmets
• Designated swim caps must be worn throughout the swim portion of the race
• No nudity allowed in the transition area
• Upper torso must be covered during the bike and run portion of the race (shirt or swimsuit)
• Bike helmets must be put on and strap must be clipped before the athlete exits the transition area and enters the bike course
• Parents are not allowed in the transition area during the race. Parents are only allowed in transition during designated set-up times, and upon completion of the race to retrieve belongings. Race volunteers will assist younger athletes in the transition area if needed.
The race will start and end at the College of Marin, Indian Valley Campus.
Parking on campus is limited to several parking lots accessed from the campus entrance on Ignacio Blvd. Please note that these lots may be full early on race morning due to the Flower Power Sprint Triathlon being held on the same morning. When these lots are full, the option is on street parking off campus. Please be sure to allow plenty of time to park and get to the transition area prior to your child’s wave start time.
More details will be posted on this site during June, as the race gets closer. In the meantime, don’t hesitate to send an email to email@example.com if you have specific questions.Join our mailing list to be kept up to date on this exciting new race for young athletes.